PDMS replaces the Steam Packet Company's online booking and integrated business system with a more robust platform
The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company provides a vital and unique service to the Isle of Man, servicing both public and commercial travel. The company carries around 600,000 passengers and 170,000 cars and motorcycles every year, connecting the Isle of Man to Heysham, Liverpool, Belfast and Dublin.
With around 75% of their customers choosing to book online, the Steam Packet recognised that they needed to invest in a more up to date online booking and integrated business system. The new system would not only help to improve the customer experience, but also help drive operational efficiencies and serve the needs of the business into the foreseeable future. The Steam Packet wanted to work with a technology partner who could provide commercial flexibility and a return on investment.
The first phase of the project included the rebuild of the website and its interface into the reservations system using the Foundations Content Management System, allowing for a completely bespoke website solution, hosted by PDMS and importantly offering a more secure online payment process.
The second phase will replace the existing legacy reservations back office, completing the consolidation of existing systems, and migration of data to the Foundations platform, resulting in a more stable, maintainable architecture, which can be tailored to Steam Packet's future needs.
Phase 1 of the project was successfully completed in November 2013, resulting in
- Enhanced online payment security
- Consolidation of systems and switch to local suppliers
- Improved website performance and reduced user errors
- Replacement of travel agent interface with new and improved version
Phase 2 of the project which was completed in 2015 includes
- Modernisation of the reservation system which supports online, telephone and over the counter bookings, amendments and transfers
- Provision of modern vessel, pricing and timetable functionality
- Enhanced card payment security
- Complete data migration and integration with other Steam Packet system
- Enhanced revenue recognition and reporting
- Improved customer contact functionality
- Sagepay Cloud Chip and Pin integration
- Enhanced ticketing options
The new Foundations website and reservations back office will provide the Steam Packet with a stable and secure platform which can be enhanced to facilitate possible future developments such as mobile apps and online check-in and enhanced booking options on the website.
In June 2017 the system handled a record-breaking number of bookings when reservations opened for the 2018 TT festival on Monday.
The company started taking provisional reservations at 8.30am and by the end of the day had completed more than 5,000 bookings, a substantial increase on the 3,500 handled on the same day in 2016, which was the previous record high. Read more here