- News & Media
- News & Media Headlines
- PDMS secures new UK Government Cyber Essentials Certificate
New UK cyber security certification awarded to PDMS
13 July, 2016
PDMS secures new UK Government Cyber Essentials Certificate
PDMS Ltd is pleased to announce that it has been awarded the UK Government’s new Cyber Essential Certificate of Compliance.
Cyber Essentials is a new UK Government-backed and industry-supported scheme that guides businesses in protecting themselves against cyber threats; allowing organisations to demonstrate to customers and partners that cyber security is taken seriously.
The Cyber Essentials Scheme covers the basics of cyber security in an organisation’s enterprise or corporate IT system. It concentrates on five key controls:
1. Boundary firewalls and internet gateways - these are devices designed to prevent unauthorised access to or from private networks, but good setup of these devices either in hardware or software form is important for them to be fully effective.
2. Secure configuration – ensuring that systems are configured in the most secure way for the needs of the organisation
3. Access control – Ensuring only those who should have access to systems to have access and at the appropriate level.
4. Malware protection – ensuring that virus and malware protection is installed and is it up to date
5. Patch management – ensuring the latest supported version of applications is used and all the necessary patches supplied by the vendor been applied.
The Cyber Essentials scheme was introduced in June 2014 as part of a growing government interest in improving the state of the UK’s cybersecurity, and is now obligatory for all businesses bidding on sensitive data contracts
To achieve certification, PDMS has had to demonstrate that it meets the required standard of clarity on good basic cyber security practice.
Neal Kelly, PDMS Infrastructure & Facilities Manager commented “The Cyber Essentials certificate, together with our existing ISO27001 certification, demonstrates our ongoing commitment to high security standards for all customers – in the public and private sector”.
In tandem with our ISO27001 certification, Cyber Essentials demonstrates PDMS’ ongoing commitment to delivering secure online systems to both government and private sector clients.
PDMS, an approved GCloud supplier, works with a number of central and local UK Government organisations and the Cyber Essentials certification provides added reassurance in relation to the company’s IT security.